January 30, 2011

Remember When

by Amanda (Aya)


Remember when we
were babies, cuddled
up close? When we
did nothing for ourselves, but
everything for fun? We cried,
we ate; we cried we were
given a toy; we cried, again,
and we were picked up,
carried around.
Remember when we went
to kindergarten? Learning our
ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle Little
Star, and how our eyes did
shine like the stars we sang about...
Napping side-by-side, we held
hands like the old friends we were;
oh, how many times we fought
over the shovel in the sandbox!
We cried and yelled and kicked and
screamed - I remember your cry
when I kicked sand in your face.
Two hours later, whaddya know!
It's snacktime, you gave me your cookie;
best friend, I already knew. Apology
accepted, I'm sorry, too.
Remember when we sang
together? We took chorus and
sang in concerts; I sang high, you sang low;
we sang in perfect harmony.
We sang in school, we sang at dinner, we
sang while even swimming! Remember that?
I was the mermaid, you were my prince, I
sang to you as you pulled me out.
Remember when we
grew up? High school created a wall between
us; less and less I saw you, less and less you
sought me me out. It hurt you, too,
right? We no longer
swam, no longer sang, no longer
your princess to be saved..
No more cookies, no more sand; no longer
napping hand-in-hand. My face is dull, my eyes
dim - didn't you promise to keep them bright,
like the stars with their shining lights?
You walked away, and I, well I
sang my ABCs backwards.
Z,Y, X
We are no longer carried, we feed ourselves
now.
W, V, U, T
I don't share a crib, I'm on my own
now
S, R, Q, P, O, N, M
You walked away with no promises
to come back.
L, K, J,
We no longer do what we
used to.
I, H, G
we no longer hug each other
close.
F, E, D
But darling,
my sweet darling,
C, B, A
I continue to cry,
though.

No comments:

Post a Comment